As we put the final preparations in place for this year’s race, we’ll be sharing “26 Tips for 26.2 Miles” to make sure you’re ready to go on race day. Click here to read them all, or follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
The Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon takes great pride in its efforts to provide a safe and secure event. Thanks to the hard work of the Columbus Divisions of Police & Fire, numerous precautions are taken each year to protect our participants, spectators, volunteers and the general public. This year, we are also incorporating a few new measures to expand upon these existing efforts. Today’s tip is simple: SAFETY FIRST.
Be prepared to abide by the following rules Race Day:
- ATHLETE-ONLY AREAS – Participants in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & ½ Marathon will have special access to athlete-only areas at the Start Line and Finish Line. Non-participants will not be permitted in these areas.
- BAGGAGE, GEAR CHECK RULES –
- No solid-colored bags, boxes, luggage, etc., of any kind, including grocery bags or even cinch-style “goodie bag” backpacks, will be permitted in the Athlete-Only Areas of the Start Line, Finish Line or in the starting corrals. Water bottle holders and belts, “Camelbacks” and fanny packs will be permitted, but expect for these to be inspected at the “Athlete-Only” gates.
- For Gear Check, we will only accept the clear Gear Check Bags you receive at the Health & Fitness Expo. All items you wish to check must be in these bags, and the numbered sticker you receive in your race packet must be on this clear bag. We will not accept any other bags, boxes, luggage, etc., of any kind, including cinch-style “goodie bag” backpacks.
- If you arrive at the “Athlete-Only” gates to the Start Area with any other bag, box, luggage, etc., including a cinch-style “goodie bag” backpack that you wanted to take to Gear Check, you will have the opportunity to transfer your items into a clear Gear Check bag, and leave the other bag behind, return it to your car, hotel room, leave it with family or friends, etc..
- If you wish to take extra clothing, snacks, etc. to the Start Line in addition to taking a clear bag to Gear Check, we suggest you request a second clear bag at the Expo.
- INSPECTIONS – All items being carried at or near the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & ½ Marathon are subject to inspection.
- NO FAMILY RUN-IN AT FINISH – Only athletes are permitted on the race course, including crossing the Finish Line. This is for the safety of all athletes, spectators, race and safety officials and volunteers. Any participant who is joined by a non-participant (including a child-in-arms) on any portion of the course, including crossing the Finish Line, risks disqualification and a ban from future events.
- COLOR-CODED EMERGENCY FLAGS – A new, four-color flag system will be used to provide information on weather conditions and emergency situations. Green = Good; Yellow =Caution; Red = Potentially Dangerous; Black = Event Cancelled, Dangerous Conditions. Please pay attention to the flags at all fluid stations and at the Start Line and Finish Line.
- MEDICAL INFORMATION – We are stressing this more than ever – PLEASE take a few moments and fill out the Medical Information on the back of your bib number. Every second counts in an emergency, and this information could be crucial!
If you have any questions about the safety precautions (new or existing) being implemented for this year’s race, please let us know in the comments below or send us a message on Facebook.