The Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon had an amazing turnout this year and we’d like to give a huge “thank you” to all of the participants and everyone who supported Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
While many of you may have succeeding in breaking your own personal record, you also helped the Columbus Marathon break three of its own:
- The event raised more than $1.25 million for Nationwide Children’s Hospital in the second year of the partnership – a record-breaking amount! This includes a $200,000 contribution from the Columbus Marathon board of trustees, $100,000 of which will be directed to Pulmonary Medicine at Nationwide Children’s in honor of long-time volunteers Brent and Catherine LaCount and their 3-year-old daughter, Berkley, who is living with Cystic Fibrosis.
- Leslie Sexton of London, Ontario broke the women’s 1/2 Marathon record, running it in 1:13:13. This is the second year in a row the record has fallen.
- For the 7th year in a row, the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon sold-out a field of 18,000 athletes, though this year it happened by Sept. 30, in record time.
We’re extremely proud of the marathon’s success, and we hope to continue breaking records and enhancing the race experience every year.
We also thought it’d be fun to share some facts about this year’s race in numbers:
- 24 Miracle Mile Patient Champions shared their inspiring stories
- 3,000 volunteers made this marathon possible
- 49 states were represented by our athletes (we’re just missing Mississippi)
- 100 bands and entertainers attended
- A 27-member marathon team and an 11-member marathon board of directors put in approximately 10,000 hours of planning
- Approximately 60,000 people attended the Health & Fitness Expo
- Approximately 60,000 to 100,000 spectators cheered on athletes on Race Day
- 250,000 White Castle cups of water
- 250,000 Cups of Lemon-Lime Gatorade (approximately 11,600 gallons of Gatorade)
- 18,000 granola bars, pretzels, chips, yogurt, bananas and chocolate milk
- 550 portable bathrooms for relief – another new record
- 24,000 Clif Shot energy gels
- 96 portable generators
- 1 Angel Mile to honor, remember and celebrate the angels of Nationwide Children’s Hospital who have already finished their race
- 1 Encore Mile, for the patients who lined the inaugural Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon in 2012
- 10,000 feet of fencing (nearly 2 miles) along various parts of the course
- 27 permits throughout five different police jurisdictions to close down 26.2 miles of roads
And that’s a wrap for the 2013 Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & ½ Marathon. We hope to see you next year for the 35th annual race on Sunday, Oct. 19, 2014. Let the countdown begin!