As we put the final preparations in place for this year’s race, we’ll be sharing “26 Tips for 26.2 Miles” to make sure you’re ready to go on race day. Click here to read them all, or follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Today’s tip is: Get Excited for the All-New Start Line!
In addition to having an all-new combined start/finish line at North Bank Park in the Arena District, all 18,000 participants will have the same Start Line Experience.
Just before 7:30 a.m. on race morning, we will take a moment for the singing of our National Anthem, then fire up lasers, set off fireworks and release corrals A and B for the Marathon & ½ Marathon. After this first wave of athletes crosses the Start Line we will move corrals C and D into place where they will listen to the singing of our National Anthem (the first time any of us can recall a race doing the song twice!) and receive a sendoff with lasers and fireworks as well!
Athletes can also expect the following from the Start Line:
- Early Corral-opening time – 5:45 a.m.
- Expansive Athlete-Only area
- More restrooms in each Starting Corral
- Heaters in the start area (like the heaters you see on restaurant patios)
- More than 300 volunteers to help line everyone up
- Thousands of watts of power in a sound and lighting system upgrade