As we put the final preparations in place for this year’s race, we’ll be sharing daily tips to make sure you’re ready to go on race day. Click here to read them all, or follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
You’ve put a lot of effort into your training — months of pounding the pavement, weekends blown by long runs and the unending aches and pains of the endurance athlete. Well, the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & ½ Marathon team has also been putting in long hours to make sure all 18,000 of you have the BEST experience possible.
In light of that, we wanted to familiarize our athletes with all that goes into putting on one of the best endurance events in North America. So today’s tip is: Know Your Columbus Marathon “Fun Facts.”
- 24 Miracle Mile Patient Champions who have shared their stories to inspire
- 3,000 volunteers making this marathon possible
- 48 states represented by our athletes (we’re just short North and South Dakota!)
- Nearly 100 bands and entertainers add extra cheer
- 27-member marathon team and 11-member marathon board of directors that have put in approximately 10,000 hours of planning
- Approximately 60,000 people attend the Health & Fitness Expo
- Approximately 60,000 to 100,000 spectators cheer on athletes on Race Day
- 250,000 White Castle cups of water to quench thirst
- 250,000 Cups of Lemon-Lime Gatorade (approximately 11,600 gallons of Gatorade) when water just doesn’t cut it
- 18,000 granola bars, pretzels, chips, yogurt, bananas and chocolate milk to replenish at the Finish Line
- 550 portable bathrooms for relief – a new record!
- 24,000 Clif Shot energy gels to refuel (vanilla, mocha, raspberry and citrus flavored!)
- 96 portable generators to power the course
- 1 Angel Mile to honor, remember and celebrate the angels of Nationwide Children’s who have already finished their race
- 1 Encore Mile, for the patients who lined the 2012 and 2013 Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & ½ Marathon
- 10,000 feet of fencing (nearly 2 miles) along various parts of the course
- 201,600 watt sound system rev up runners at the Start Line
- 27 permits throughout five different police jurisdictions close down 26 miles of roads
All of these numbers add up to ONE happy athlete – YOU — on Oct. 19!