As we put the final preparations in place for this year’s race, we’re sharing “26 Tips in 26 Days” to make sure you’re ready to go on race day. Click here to read them all , or follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Are you ready?
Race Day is just hours away. On behalf of our entire team, we want to thank you for taking part in the 2017 Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & ½ Marathon. This race is a celebration of spirit and an opportunity to support the life-changing work taking place at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
Our 11 board members have completed more than 300 marathons between them. If this is your first race or you are a seasoned pro, here are some last minute ideas to make the most of Race Day – straight from our Board.
What You Should Do Saturday Night:
- Lay it all out – Avoid race day anxiety and rushing around by laying out everything you will need the night before.
- Have a parking plan – Know where you’re going and where you’re parking. Plan for it to take you at least double the time it usually would to get there. Here’s a breakdown of everything you need to know about parking and road closures throughout the course.
- Visualize – Visualize the start while everyone cheers you on, a smooth run with a calm breath and a steady pace, each neighborhood with huge crowds and funny signs, running through the pain as your training kicks in, the finish line with elation and what an awesome accomplishment it will be! Through visualization our dreams come true. If you need help, here’s a video recap of the 2016 race.
- Get there early! – Avoid any unneeded race day anxiety by getting to the start line early. The Corrals open at 6 a.m. This will allow you some extra time should something unexpected arise (i.e. – traffic delays, long restroom lines, etc).
- No Firsts – You shouldn’t do anything for the first time – from the food you eat to what’s on your feet: breakfast, clothes, shoes, Gatorade and Clif Shot should already be tested.
- Protein – A little bit of protein is always a good thing the morning of the race, but again, practice this first before that day!
- Stay Warm – If it is a cool morning, use an oversized trash bag to stay warm. Take a bag and cut a hole for your head at the bottom of the bag. Once the race begins, all you have to do is throw it away! NOTE: You can also purchase a throw-away sweatshirt from the Goodwill Store at the Health & Fitness Expo for the same effect!
During The Race:
- Pace – Relax and don’t get too excited before and during the first few miles. Trust your training and stay true to your pace. Check out the Clif Bar Pace Team — expert pacers will be holding balloons with the pace they will be running in each corral.
- Take it all in – Once you arrive, take it all in, the sights, the sounds and the smells. This experience will never happen exactly this way ever again, so soak in every step. Entertainment and Patient Champions will be at every mile to keep you going. Remember, you’ve worked hard for this – enjoy it!
- Celebrate – Congratulations! You have crossed the finish line and completed an amazing feat. Regardless of distance, pace and records, it is time to reward yourself and Celebration Village is the perfect place to do so. Reunite with friends and family, shake out our legs, visit the vendors, feast on food from local food trucks, enjoy live entertainment and remember to hit that PR Gong!
- Recover – Check out blog #14 from our Medical Director, Dr. Darrin Bright, that gives a list of tips on how to recover immediately after the race and later in the day.
Sunday culminates months of hard work. You are ready. We can wait to see you tomorrow morning.